There are a number of things we can surmise about Jack Hughes from his portfolio without ever actually having met him. Number one, he’s a stylish fellow of unparalleled sartorial taste. Number two, his personal hygiene is of the utmost importance. Number three, he’s read at least a handful (probably a shelf-full) of spy novels, most likely John le Carré. Number four, he’s watched every episode of Mad Men at least twice – but only so he can scope out the groovy furniture and period sets. And finally he enjoys fine scotch and hand-rolled cigars in the same way that the rest of us enjoy water and air.
Given that Jack only graduated from Kingston University last year we’re sure almost none of this is actually true – he’s probably still eating beans from a tin and washing his pants in the sink – but his polished 60s-inspired illustration is so suave and elegant we can’t really imagine it being produced by anyone other than the character described above. But with a growing list of professional clients knocking on his door we’re sure he’ll transform from grubby student to the stylish gent we’d like him to be in no time at all. Good luck to you sir!
- The frustration of crazy golf embodied by student animation collective Megacomputeur
- Enormous 20ft Barbies and bluebottles in real-life locations, by photographer Michael John Hunter
- French animator Jon Boutin's quick-witted shorts will have you creasing
- The MIT Technology Review design team share their love of printed matter
- Gemma Mahoney, a graphic design student producing professional work
- By designers, for designers: Monotype’s font subscription service
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU