There are a number of things we can surmise about Jack Hughes from his portfolio without ever actually having met him. Number one, he’s a stylish fellow of unparalleled sartorial taste. Number two, his personal hygiene is of the utmost importance. Number three, he’s read at least a handful (probably a shelf-full) of spy novels, most likely John le Carré. Number four, he’s watched every episode of Mad Men at least twice – but only so he can scope out the groovy furniture and period sets. And finally he enjoys fine scotch and hand-rolled cigars in the same way that the rest of us enjoy water and air.
Given that Jack only graduated from Kingston University last year we’re sure almost none of this is actually true – he’s probably still eating beans from a tin and washing his pants in the sink – but his polished 60s-inspired illustration is so suave and elegant we can’t really imagine it being produced by anyone other than the character described above. But with a growing list of professional clients knocking on his door we’re sure he’ll transform from grubby student to the stylish gent we’d like him to be in no time at all. Good luck to you sir!
- Nick Waplington's artwork for Yak, a striking representation of their sound
- Ondrej Bachor and Jan Horcik create ever-evolving identity for fashion designer Karolina Jurikova
- Bodil Jane's illustrations: ornate, exotic and really very lovely
- Drifting SUVs in the Arabian desert: Peter Garritano explores the world of hajwalah
- Envisions collective, breaking down the boundaries of design
- Zsofia Schweger’s paintings depict her Hungarian home frozen in time
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August