There are a number of things we can surmise about Jack Hughes from his portfolio without ever actually having met him. Number one, he’s a stylish fellow of unparalleled sartorial taste. Number two, his personal hygiene is of the utmost importance. Number three, he’s read at least a handful (probably a shelf-full) of spy novels, most likely John le Carré. Number four, he’s watched every episode of Mad Men at least twice – but only so he can scope out the groovy furniture and period sets. And finally he enjoys fine scotch and hand-rolled cigars in the same way that the rest of us enjoy water and air.
Given that Jack only graduated from Kingston University last year we’re sure almost none of this is actually true – he’s probably still eating beans from a tin and washing his pants in the sink – but his polished 60s-inspired illustration is so suave and elegant we can’t really imagine it being produced by anyone other than the character described above. But with a growing list of professional clients knocking on his door we’re sure he’ll transform from grubby student to the stylish gent we’d like him to be in no time at all. Good luck to you sir!
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs