One of the best ideas to come out of Designersblock this year was JAILmake’s The Plantable. The creative partnership of Liam Healy and Jamie Elliott reintroduced nature back into the experience of gathering, cooking and eating a meal by taking a domesticated object and enabling nature to claim it back.
“The space provided for plants to grow in the four legs reflects on the distance we place between ourselves and the processes involved in making our food. We’ve tried and tested climbers, tomatoes, herbs and sweet peas. The Plantable is hand made in our workshops in South East London, where each leg is hand bent and fillet brazed into the framework. A hand made English oak top is then placed over it, for plenty to sit around and enjoy”.
Designersblock runs as part of the London Design Festival at the Farmiloe Building, 34 St John Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1M 4AY between 22 – 25 September.
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- The best things on the web, YOUR best comments and the finest folk to follow on social media
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery