One of the best ideas to come out of Designersblock this year was JAILmake’s The Plantable. The creative partnership of Liam Healy and Jamie Elliott reintroduced nature back into the experience of gathering, cooking and eating a meal by taking a domesticated object and enabling nature to claim it back.
“The space provided for plants to grow in the four legs reflects on the distance we place between ourselves and the processes involved in making our food. We’ve tried and tested climbers, tomatoes, herbs and sweet peas. The Plantable is hand made in our workshops in South East London, where each leg is hand bent and fillet brazed into the framework. A hand made English oak top is then placed over it, for plenty to sit around and enjoy”.
Designersblock runs as part of the London Design Festival at the Farmiloe Building, 34 St John Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1M 4AY between 22 – 25 September.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages