One of the best ideas to come out of Designersblock this year was JAILmake’s The Plantable. The creative partnership of Liam Healy and Jamie Elliott reintroduced nature back into the experience of gathering, cooking and eating a meal by taking a domesticated object and enabling nature to claim it back.
“The space provided for plants to grow in the four legs reflects on the distance we place between ourselves and the processes involved in making our food. We’ve tried and tested climbers, tomatoes, herbs and sweet peas. The Plantable is hand made in our workshops in South East London, where each leg is hand bent and fillet brazed into the framework. A hand made English oak top is then placed over it, for plenty to sit around and enjoy”.
Designersblock runs as part of the London Design Festival at the Farmiloe Building, 34 St John Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1M 4AY between 22 – 25 September.
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michael
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- Founder and editor-in-chief of Intern Magazine Alec Dudson shares his favourite books
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)