One of the best ideas to come out of Designersblock this year was JAILmake’s The Plantable. The creative partnership of Liam Healy and Jamie Elliott reintroduced nature back into the experience of gathering, cooking and eating a meal by taking a domesticated object and enabling nature to claim it back.
“The space provided for plants to grow in the four legs reflects on the distance we place between ourselves and the processes involved in making our food. We’ve tried and tested climbers, tomatoes, herbs and sweet peas. The Plantable is hand made in our workshops in South East London, where each leg is hand bent and fillet brazed into the framework. A hand made English oak top is then placed over it, for plenty to sit around and enjoy”.
Designersblock runs as part of the London Design Festival at the Farmiloe Building, 34 St John Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1M 4AY between 22 – 25 September.
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"