Los Angeles-based animator and designer Jamie Wolfe has created this fun and hypnotic music video for artist Sneaks AKA Eva Moolchan. With beautifully haphazard linework that mimics the beats of the track, Jamie’s characters rhythmically melt into each other like coloured wax. “Working with Sneaks was a dreamy opportunity! She packs so much complexity into her music on the backbone of her minimalist rhythms. She really brings you into an alternate universe. I wanted the music video to reflect that,” explains Jamie.
The changeable shape of her characters allows smooth and unexpected transitions into new scenes, like when a pair of boobs morphs into cascading waves. “I knew I wanted the video to feel a bit psychedelic/surreal in its flow, so at the beginning I spent a lot of time playing the song on repeat and drawing everything that came to mind,” says Jamie. “I spread all those drawings out on the floor, plucked my favourites, and animated them. I used loops to play up the repetition in the song.” Jamie’s colours are bright and rich, reminiscent of old comic books and her figures gyrate and move on a backdrop of subtle rainbow gradient, which enhances this nostalgic vibe.
Short and sweet at around one and half minutes, the oddly humorous loops of animation show Jamie’s offbeat style that she’s developing while attending Calarts as an MFA student on the Experimental Animation programme.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design