Since I last wrote about him in August of last year, Jan van der Veken has been working tirelessly to raise his profile from well-respected but mildly obscure illustrator genius to worldwide household name. His online presence has maintained a pleasing consistency, with updates coming thick and fast – much to the delight of those of us still waiting to see his work in some UK publications – and there are rumours of a monograph of his work appearing some time over the course of this year.
And about time too, as Jan is every bit the consummate image-maker, with draughtsmanship and typographic skills that only the very best illustrators could aspire to, not to mention his incredible eye for colour. Long may his rise to superstardom continue!
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again