For illustrator Jana Glatt a fascination with creating characters grew from the theatre classes she attended as a child. “Unfortunately I stopped with theatre classes as I moved along and started studying graphic design at university,” she explains. Her background in graphic design is combined with a master’s in illustration where she “discovered a growing enthusiasm for developing scenic landscapes, combined with a passion for design”.
Since graduating, Jana now illustrates professionally, creating sweet editorial drawings enjoyable for both children and their parents. Her drawing style is simplistic yet the characters’ expressive faces convey all sorts of emotions, portraying both the silly and the serious. Her early interest in performance is evident in her ability to communicate through one drawing. Jana carefully illustrates a person so that their clothes, styling and actions all communicate clear personality, ideal for illustrating children’s books. Her works are also liberal with primary colours in juicy layers.
Now with a number of illustrated book covers under her belt, Jana has moved to Barcelona from her home city of Rio de Janeiro to focus on illustrations for books, textiles and design projects.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc