If all documentary photographers were like Jane Stockdale the world of reportage imagery would be an incredibly lucid and dynamic place, free of all the common clichés which afflict newspapers and magazines sometimes. They’re not though and the clichés still exist, but that tends just to make us appreciate her talent all the more.
Since we last updated on her work, Jane has been busy with projects documenting a samba group in Rio, British survival competition Tough Guy, and the process of breaking the land speed record with Drayson Racing Technology in Yorkshire among others.
But rather than cramming all of that into a post, here are some of the photographs she took documenting the work of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon. Their role their is principally “patrolling the coastline, trying to stop the smuggling of illegal shipments and armaments getting into Lebanon,” and while blue skies and rolling horizons abound, it’s gripping and dangerous stuff. As ever, her ineffable ability to wind up in the right place at the right time results in some incredibly engaging imagery. It’s a welcome alternative to Hollywood’s glossy version of what similar forces do. Head over to her website for more!
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant