If all documentary photographers were like Jane Stockdale the world of reportage imagery would be an incredibly lucid and dynamic place, free of all the common clichés which afflict newspapers and magazines sometimes. They’re not though and the clichés still exist, but that tends just to make us appreciate her talent all the more.
Since we last updated on her work, Jane has been busy with projects documenting a samba group in Rio, British survival competition Tough Guy, and the process of breaking the land speed record with Drayson Racing Technology in Yorkshire among others.
But rather than cramming all of that into a post, here are some of the photographs she took documenting the work of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon. Their role their is principally “patrolling the coastline, trying to stop the smuggling of illegal shipments and armaments getting into Lebanon,” and while blue skies and rolling horizons abound, it’s gripping and dangerous stuff. As ever, her ineffable ability to wind up in the right place at the right time results in some incredibly engaging imagery. It’s a welcome alternative to Hollywood’s glossy version of what similar forces do. Head over to her website for more!
- Design's many, many layers, and the power of music, at Nicer Tuesdays July
- It’s just life: The democratic eye of William Eggleston
- Tim Lahan is the new Mystic Meg with horoscope illustrations for Elle Magazine
- Musical instruments with a modernist aesthetic by Hundo
- Former Buzzcocks drummer John Maher exhibits his photography work in Nobody's Home
- Monument Valley creator ustwo gives us a peek at its bookshelf
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale