If all documentary photographers were like Jane Stockdale the world of reportage imagery would be an incredibly lucid and dynamic place, free of all the common clichés which afflict newspapers and magazines sometimes. They’re not though and the clichés still exist, but that tends just to make us appreciate her talent all the more.
Since we last updated on her work, Jane has been busy with projects documenting a samba group in Rio, British survival competition Tough Guy, and the process of breaking the land speed record with Drayson Racing Technology in Yorkshire among others.
But rather than cramming all of that into a post, here are some of the photographs she took documenting the work of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon. Their role their is principally “patrolling the coastline, trying to stop the smuggling of illegal shipments and armaments getting into Lebanon,” and while blue skies and rolling horizons abound, it’s gripping and dangerous stuff. As ever, her ineffable ability to wind up in the right place at the right time results in some incredibly engaging imagery. It’s a welcome alternative to Hollywood’s glossy version of what similar forces do. Head over to her website for more!
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery