If all documentary photographers were like Jane Stockdale the world of reportage imagery would be an incredibly lucid and dynamic place, free of all the common clichés which afflict newspapers and magazines sometimes. They’re not though and the clichés still exist, but that tends just to make us appreciate her talent all the more.
Since we last updated on her work, Jane has been busy with projects documenting a samba group in Rio, British survival competition Tough Guy, and the process of breaking the land speed record with Drayson Racing Technology in Yorkshire among others.
But rather than cramming all of that into a post, here are some of the photographs she took documenting the work of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon. Their role their is principally “patrolling the coastline, trying to stop the smuggling of illegal shipments and armaments getting into Lebanon,” and while blue skies and rolling horizons abound, it’s gripping and dangerous stuff. As ever, her ineffable ability to wind up in the right place at the right time results in some incredibly engaging imagery. It’s a welcome alternative to Hollywood’s glossy version of what similar forces do. Head over to her website for more!
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography