I, like the legion of others who’ve found total creative solace in the comics and illustrative works of Jean “Moebius” Giraud (aka Gir), was seriously saddened to hear of his death this weekend. It would be impossible to talk holistically about a body of work that has impacted so importantly on science fiction storytelling in its myriad guises. From popular comics like Silver Surfer to the extreme vision and genre defining work with Alejandro Jodorowsky on The Incal, there are also the concept drawings for films – Alien, The Fifth Element, Tron – and, of course, the work of every artist he ever inspired.
Because his work is important and because I wish I could discover it all over again, whether you know the work or not, here are just a few corners of the internet that go some way to reflecting the genius of an indisputable legend. A wonderful interview with Jean Giraud by Kim Thompson in a 1987 issue of The Comics Journal and her very recent obituary on their site here, the comprehensive visual stopping place for Moebius artwork at quenched consciousness and his last, and characteristically affable, interview with the Los Angeles Times.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant