Sadly our flights back to London from Dublin’s OFFSET conference last weekend meant we missed the last few speakers on the Sunday schedule, but our colleague Karl Toomey was there and waxed lyrical about the work of Jeff Greenspan. Closer inspection revealed Karl’s excitement was justified, as Jeff boasts the kind of playfully creative mind of which we can’t get enough.
The New York based mischief-maker has worked with brands like Facebook and Buzzfeed (where he used to be Chief Creative Officer) to create the kind of engaging and shareable content that has become the holy grail for so many marketing teams. And yet Jeff’s ability to imagine and execute these sorts of ideas seems like a compulsion rather than a career plan, with some of his most interesting work completely self-initiated.
From building The World’s Most Exclusive Website to painting local/tourist lanes on NYC pavements, and investigating in very literal terms whether the chicken or the egg comes first to setting hipster traps around Brooklyn, Jeff makes an art form out of the silly and the simple. Many of his projects concern our relationship with technology, including working with long-time collaborators Improv Everywhere to provide guides for people trying to walk and use their phones simultaneously, or exploring the photobomb phenomenon in an anachronistic (and presumably painstaking) oil painting context.
There is something electrifying about not only the way Jeff thinks, but also in his willingness to get out and make these ideas a reality.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy