Sadly our flights back to London from Dublin’s OFFSET conference last weekend meant we missed the last few speakers on the Sunday schedule, but our colleague Karl Toomey was there and waxed lyrical about the work of Jeff Greenspan. Closer inspection revealed Karl’s excitement was justified, as Jeff boasts the kind of playfully creative mind of which we can’t get enough.
The New York based mischief-maker has worked with brands like Facebook and Buzzfeed (where he used to be Chief Creative Officer) to create the kind of engaging and shareable content that has become the holy grail for so many marketing teams. And yet Jeff’s ability to imagine and execute these sorts of ideas seems like a compulsion rather than a career plan, with some of his most interesting work completely self-initiated.
From building The World’s Most Exclusive Website to painting local/tourist lanes on NYC pavements, and investigating in very literal terms whether the chicken or the egg comes first to setting hipster traps around Brooklyn, Jeff makes an art form out of the silly and the simple. Many of his projects concern our relationship with technology, including working with long-time collaborators Improv Everywhere to provide guides for people trying to walk and use their phones simultaneously, or exploring the photobomb phenomenon in an anachronistic (and presumably painstaking) oil painting context.
There is something electrifying about not only the way Jeff thinks, but also in his willingness to get out and make these ideas a reality.
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)