Berlin-based artist Jens Ullrich creates large-scale collages that make the careful elision between frozen-moment drama in sports photography and the inertia of classical looking sculptures.
The effect is immediate and extremely powerful; the familiar sporting image levitates with apparent weightlessness, simultaneously graceful and powerful, and yet is suddenly, literally, rendered motionlessness as stone with a passive aestheticism that belies the grainy excitement of the original image. It is a simple sort of brilliance that figured the uncanny similitude between a reclining nude and a pro football player…
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages