Us Brits are known for our sense of humour, but some things you just don’t mess with and our much-loved fried breakfast is one of them. So when photographer David Sykes and model maker Jessica Dance decided to pay homage to the artery-clogging national institution, they knew they had to get it right. Luckily for them (and us), they nailed it, thanks to the duo’s superb attention-to-detail.
“I would say the bacon was probably the most time-consuming to knit as I really wanted to make sure the fat looked convincing,” Jessica told us. “The same goes for the sausages – getting the subtle griddle detailing took some careful planning! Also I knitted each of the baked beans individually so that was a bit of a labour of love.”
The breakfast is part of the pair’s series Comfort Food which also includes a burger and chips, the classic American hot dog and even a Christmas dinner. Thanks to Jessica’s consummate skills each individual piece looks brilliant, but the compositions come together thanks to David’s eye; he lit each piece in exactly the way he would set-up for an actual food shoot.
As you can see the results are magnificent, and make us confusingly hungry…
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)