In more ambitious moments I sometimes fantasise about launching a dating service for creatives, like Uniform Dating but with designers and illustrators instead of firemen and nurses. The long hours, obsessive nature of the work and achingly aesthetic sensibilities may not be conducive to forming meaningful attachments, which is where my grand plan comes in. Over in New York, Jessica Walsh of Sagmeister & Walsh and Tim Goodman have come up against this familiar roadblock to romance and decided to take action.
For 40 days they entered into a relationship – going on dates, attending couples’ therapy and having a weekend break –and they documented the entire process via daily questionnaires and videos. They also did some special projects like spending a day exploring their past failed romances through drawings, and holding hands for eight hours straight.
As part of the project, Jessica and Tim called on their many friends in the art and design world to create a typographic piece to run alongside each blog post – so the likes of Paula Scher, Eike Konig, Debbie Millman, Mario Hugo, Siggi Eggertson, Christoph Niemann and Jessica Hische have also contributed to this intriguing project.
They say: “Tim is afraid of commitment, often dating many girls at once, losing sight of what a healthy relationship means. Jessica is a hopeless romantic, always looking to find “the one.” It’s been said that it takes 40 days to change a bad habit.”
The results will be rolled out over the coming weeks at the 40 Days of Dating website and we’re looking forward to seeing it develop – and finding out how it ends.
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant