Before John Delaney launched himself at full force into taking phootgraphs, he spent the best part of 15 years working as master printer for photography icon Richard Avedon. No biggie.
John Delaney has become a serious dab-hand when it comes to his own projects and if his latest stunning series The Volunteers is anything to go by, photography is well and truly John Delaney’s thing.
Specialising in monochrome, the series beautifully documents the volunteers working at New York’s Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen. And while a soup kitchen setting would more than likely centre most photographer’s attention upon the attendees, it is John’s interest in the volunteers that makes his project really stand out and demonstrates his eye for documentary photography.
With the volunteers all working at the largest soup kitchen in New York City, the photographs expose the beautiful diversity in a group of strangers who – despite their obvious differences – come together for the greater good of others. From a muscular man, who judging by his pout can only be described as a wannabe model, to frail older ladies they couldn’t seem much more of a mis-matched bunch but they all share the common ground of wanting to help others.
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Maya Fuhr's new project adds a slick, 80s-inspired editorial feel to a hospital setting
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs