Before John Delaney launched himself at full force into taking phootgraphs, he spent the best part of 15 years working as master printer for photography icon Richard Avedon. No biggie.
John Delaney has become a serious dab-hand when it comes to his own projects and if his latest stunning series The Volunteers is anything to go by, photography is well and truly John Delaney’s thing.
Specialising in monochrome, the series beautifully documents the volunteers working at New York’s Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen. And while a soup kitchen setting would more than likely centre most photographer’s attention upon the attendees, it is John’s interest in the volunteers that makes his project really stand out and demonstrates his eye for documentary photography.
With the volunteers all working at the largest soup kitchen in New York City, the photographs expose the beautiful diversity in a group of strangers who – despite their obvious differences – come together for the greater good of others. From a muscular man, who judging by his pout can only be described as a wannabe model, to frail older ladies they couldn’t seem much more of a mis-matched bunch but they all share the common ground of wanting to help others.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting