Before John Delaney launched himself at full force into taking phootgraphs, he spent the best part of 15 years working as master printer for photography icon Richard Avedon. No biggie.
John Delaney has become a serious dab-hand when it comes to his own projects and if his latest stunning series The Volunteers is anything to go by, photography is well and truly John Delaney’s thing.
Specialising in monochrome, the series beautifully documents the volunteers working at New York’s Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen. And while a soup kitchen setting would more than likely centre most photographer’s attention upon the attendees, it is John’s interest in the volunteers that makes his project really stand out and demonstrates his eye for documentary photography.
With the volunteers all working at the largest soup kitchen in New York City, the photographs expose the beautiful diversity in a group of strangers who – despite their obvious differences – come together for the greater good of others. From a muscular man, who judging by his pout can only be described as a wannabe model, to frail older ladies they couldn’t seem much more of a mis-matched bunch but they all share the common ground of wanting to help others.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos