Before John Delaney launched himself at full force into taking phootgraphs, he spent the best part of 15 years working as master printer for photography icon Richard Avedon. No biggie.
John Delaney has become a serious dab-hand when it comes to his own projects and if his latest stunning series The Volunteers is anything to go by, photography is well and truly John Delaney’s thing.
Specialising in monochrome, the series beautifully documents the volunteers working at New York’s Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen. And while a soup kitchen setting would more than likely centre most photographer’s attention upon the attendees, it is John’s interest in the volunteers that makes his project really stand out and demonstrates his eye for documentary photography.
With the volunteers all working at the largest soup kitchen in New York City, the photographs expose the beautiful diversity in a group of strangers who – despite their obvious differences – come together for the greater good of others. From a muscular man, who judging by his pout can only be described as a wannabe model, to frail older ladies they couldn’t seem much more of a mis-matched bunch but they all share the common ground of wanting to help others.
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale