The strength of acrobats allows them to contort through space, seeming to defy gravity and a comprehensible level of grace that all other humanoids can only dream of. A performance is only as good as the years of practice put in and a single movement might be practiced a thousand times to resemble a contradictory act of effortlessness.
Looking at the practice and environment this training takes place in, Jonathan Frantini photographed a story called Shanghai Acrobats for Another magazine. These images are so calm and have so much information in them that they appear as if in slow motion with the time spent looking animating each part of the image. These photos play informal witness to the little-seen space and fitness and flexibility exercises of these artists, as well as offering candid portraits of the performers. His perspective often mirrors the unusual reality of their acts; moving between that of the acrobat and that of the audience, all with a quietly composed choreography.
- Graphic designer Cecilia Serafini uses typography with vibrant panache
- London-based Osheyi Adebayo references his childhood in his retro graphic design
- Tristan Pigott paints “real contemporaries” in upcoming solo exhibition, Juicy Bits
- “The great thing about this book is you don’t have to read it”: sculptor Wilfrid Wood on his favourite books
- The return of the hovering art director: Nejc Prah visualises a day in the life of four art directors
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris