One of the lesser-mentioned aspects of social media is its tendency to bring out people’s puerile side – you only have to see the hilariously juvenile status updates people feel duty-bound to add if their friend leaves a Facebook account open.
Elevating this kind of thing to an artform though takes something special, so enter illustrators Jonny Ryan and Frederic Fleury or “two of our civilisation’s most distinguished assholes” as the press release for their new book puts it.
The pair started posting crude and offensive drawings on each other’s Facebook walls and it escalated from there over the course of six months because: “tTey are both proud young men and also profoundly disturbed in their brains.”
But because the duo have such pedigree – Jonny is the creator of Prison Pit, Blecky, Yuckerella and Angry Youth Comix and Frederic founded Frederic magazine – these doodled disses were too good not to share with a wider audience. So The Milan Review has collected them together and published War & Penis, 140 pages of obscene trans-Atlantic visual insult-mongering.
If you’re in the mood for something highbrow this morning you might want to give this a miss (similarly some bits might be NSFW) but as a celebration of our basest, most childish instincts, and the ingenuity of thinking up and illustrating creative insults, this takes some beating.
Oh and the book also comes with either an America Wins! or France Wins! cover so you can nail your colours to the mast.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU