A couple of weeks ago we introduced you to Charlie Clift and his brilliant series of photographs that captures the Brits who move abroad. Allow us now then to acquaint you with Jorge Luis Dieguez, the photographer more interested in the ones who stay at home and revel in some of England’s nicer beaches.
He spent two years travelling around the south coast looking to experience “a different way to approach the seaside,” in accordance with his interest in the concept of visual architecture, and found himself “fascinated by the nature and culture around the south coast.” And before you find yourself struggling to suppress a snigger, fellow Brits, take a look at the shots he has captured, because they actually look quite idyllic. Illuminated on a rare sunny day and complete with rocky cliffs, grassy hills and the occasional windbreaker, Jorge’s series does as much to prove that Southend-on-Sea and various other beaches around the south coast can be really lovely places, as he does to prove that the flying of flags is by no mean limited to supporting the team during a World Cup or for flaunting at royal weddings. It’s not often holidaying Brits are given a nod for their nature or culture, so let’s make the most of it while it lasts.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant