The fourth and final profile of a UAL group of graduates to interpret the Nike set brief, Journey To Greatness, is the London College of Fashion (LCF)…
The LCF team were interested in process and wanted their own design narrative to chime in with the stories they heard from the athletes. They wanted to reference the idea of movement and were interested in hearing how different athletes put different significance on specific colours – from this they settled on the idea of an eye-catching colour-rich visual.
They explained: “Our concept evolved into “The Dynamic Within”, which represents the powerful burst of energy and adrenaline rush that every athlete experiences at the start of a race, through a vast array of strong, bright colours. Complex emotions, movements and bursts of energy are expressed through abstract colour trails. We believe the process is equally important as the end result and hope that our interpretation inspires others on their personal journey to greatness.”
Their final piece saw a runner strapped with glow sticks and filmed in a dark-room, creating a fascinating blur of dynamic colour. The image looks amazing but as is so often the case, the creative journey was not without its challenges.
“As a team of strong-minded fashion designers, we initially wanted to stay true to our own individual skills and disciplines, which made it very challenging to settle on a single concept and work as a group. A lot of compromise had to be made whilst we continuously pushed ourselves creatively. We had to take some risks by putting ourselves into the athletes’ shoes and look outside of the box by developing our work through a medium which none of us were particularly familiar with.
“Looking back at our own journey with all the ups and downs and trials and errors, we can all agree that we have come a long way from the start of this project. We put a lot of effort into experimenting and testing every aspect of our design development, and are proud of what we came up with as a finished group product.”
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August