The fourth and final profile of a UAL group of graduates to interpret the Nike set brief, Journey To Greatness, is the London College of Fashion (LCF)…
The LCF team were interested in process and wanted their own design narrative to chime in with the stories they heard from the athletes. They wanted to reference the idea of movement and were interested in hearing how different athletes put different significance on specific colours – from this they settled on the idea of an eye-catching colour-rich visual.
They explained: “Our concept evolved into “The Dynamic Within”, which represents the powerful burst of energy and adrenaline rush that every athlete experiences at the start of a race, through a vast array of strong, bright colours. Complex emotions, movements and bursts of energy are expressed through abstract colour trails. We believe the process is equally important as the end result and hope that our interpretation inspires others on their personal journey to greatness.”
Their final piece saw a runner strapped with glow sticks and filmed in a dark-room, creating a fascinating blur of dynamic colour. The image looks amazing but as is so often the case, the creative journey was not without its challenges.
“As a team of strong-minded fashion designers, we initially wanted to stay true to our own individual skills and disciplines, which made it very challenging to settle on a single concept and work as a group. A lot of compromise had to be made whilst we continuously pushed ourselves creatively. We had to take some risks by putting ourselves into the athletes’ shoes and look outside of the box by developing our work through a medium which none of us were particularly familiar with.
“Looking back at our own journey with all the ups and downs and trials and errors, we can all agree that we have come a long way from the start of this project. We put a lot of effort into experimenting and testing every aspect of our design development, and are proud of what we came up with as a finished group product.”
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages