Everyday I get jealous of the people sitting in the First Class section on the train, lounging in their comfortable seats with enough space they can pop their bags next to them, while I stand, irritated and squashed between perspex and a middle-aged woman’s backside. This is only a small gripe about the distribution of wealth, but it’s clear there are still some issues in regards to class distinction however much we want equality. Frustrated by people still clinging to these archaic social structures and biased histories of aristocrats, Kim Alsbrooks decided to stick it to the man on a can through her ongoing White Trash Series, started back in 2004 when living in the southern states of America.
Painting miniature versions of traditional portraits onto flattened cans and fast food containers, this bold juxtaposition directly challenges these ideals and our perception of the elite by levelling the playing field. The soft colours of the portraits and classic oval shape clash wonderfully with the brash graphics and metallic sheen of the flattened rubbish and there’s real skill in Kim’s reproductions created by gessoing the can and painting in oils.
- The frustration of crazy golf embodied by student animation collective Megacomputeur
- Enormous 20ft Barbies and bluebottles in real-life locations, by photographer Michael John Hunter
- French animator Jon Boutin's quick-witted shorts will have you creasing
- The MIT Technology Review design team share their love of printed matter
- Gemma Mahoney, a graphic design student producing professional work
- By designers, for designers: Monotype’s font subscription service
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU