Normally when I get really excited about things my ability to speak eloquently goes out the window, my verbal communication reduced to a short series of expletives. Sadly, writing for a website means that I have to curb that tendency and find other ways of getting my excitement across. SOMETIMES BY BEING REALLY SHOUTY and sometimes by trying to fit as many words into a really long but snappy, slightly confusing but communicative nevertheless sentence that wordily expresses that I’ve crossed over the threshold to a whole new level of frantic hysteria.
In the case of Late Night Work Club’s debut animation however, I’m going to just stick with what comes naturally; shit the bed, this is great stuff!
Ghost Stories features the work of eleven brilliant animators, all telling their own unique stories that they’ve written, directed and animated themselves in between freelance animation gigs and their day jobs. The films were made between September 2012 and August 2013. For a little evening side project it’s a staggeringly good watch and makes a brilliant case for working under your own steam. Unconstrained by the whims of their clients each animator has had the opportunity to let their imaginations run riot, and the results speak for themselves. Massive congratulations to Dave Prosser, Charles Huettner, Sean Buckelew, Jake Armstrong and Erin Kilkenny, Caleb Wood, Louise Bagnall, Alex Grigg, Conor Finnegan, Ciaran Duffy, Eamonn O’Neill and Scott Benson, you guys deserve some kind of award!
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations