Normally when I get really excited about things my ability to speak eloquently goes out the window, my verbal communication reduced to a short series of expletives. Sadly, writing for a website means that I have to curb that tendency and find other ways of getting my excitement across. SOMETIMES BY BEING REALLY SHOUTY and sometimes by trying to fit as many words into a really long but snappy, slightly confusing but communicative nevertheless sentence that wordily expresses that I’ve crossed over the threshold to a whole new level of frantic hysteria.
In the case of Late Night Work Club’s debut animation however, I’m going to just stick with what comes naturally; shit the bed, this is great stuff!
Ghost Stories features the work of eleven brilliant animators, all telling their own unique stories that they’ve written, directed and animated themselves in between freelance animation gigs and their day jobs. The films were made between September 2012 and August 2013. For a little evening side project it’s a staggeringly good watch and makes a brilliant case for working under your own steam. Unconstrained by the whims of their clients each animator has had the opportunity to let their imaginations run riot, and the results speak for themselves. Massive congratulations to Dave Prosser, Charles Huettner, Sean Buckelew, Jake Armstrong and Erin Kilkenny, Caleb Wood, Louise Bagnall, Alex Grigg, Conor Finnegan, Ciaran Duffy, Eamonn O’Neill and Scott Benson, you guys deserve some kind of award!
- TFI the weekend! Here's the Best of the Web, as deemed by It's Nice That
- “Legs eleven, droopy drawers, dirty knees”: A clock that uses bingo calls instead of numbers
- Great new work for The New York Times and Bloomberg Businessweek from Oscar Bolton Green
- Dots, blocks and fades layered up in multifaceted exhibition identity for The Hague’s Royal Academy
- Patty Carroll’s bizarre photos hide women in chaotic, hand-built scenes
- Dougal Wilson’s Morris Dancing-heavy first music video in six years
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Japanese artist Tatsuro Kiuchi is back with more beautifully finished illustrations