Normally when I get really excited about things my ability to speak eloquently goes out the window, my verbal communication reduced to a short series of expletives. Sadly, writing for a website means that I have to curb that tendency and find other ways of getting my excitement across. SOMETIMES BY BEING REALLY SHOUTY and sometimes by trying to fit as many words into a really long but snappy, slightly confusing but communicative nevertheless sentence that wordily expresses that I’ve crossed over the threshold to a whole new level of frantic hysteria.
In the case of Late Night Work Club’s debut animation however, I’m going to just stick with what comes naturally; shit the bed, this is great stuff!
Ghost Stories features the work of eleven brilliant animators, all telling their own unique stories that they’ve written, directed and animated themselves in between freelance animation gigs and their day jobs. The films were made between September 2012 and August 2013. For a little evening side project it’s a staggeringly good watch and makes a brilliant case for working under your own steam. Unconstrained by the whims of their clients each animator has had the opportunity to let their imaginations run riot, and the results speak for themselves. Massive congratulations to Dave Prosser, Charles Huettner, Sean Buckelew, Jake Armstrong and Erin Kilkenny, Caleb Wood, Louise Bagnall, Alex Grigg, Conor Finnegan, Ciaran Duffy, Eamonn O’Neill and Scott Benson, you guys deserve some kind of award!
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery