Normally when I get really excited about things my ability to speak eloquently goes out the window, my verbal communication reduced to a short series of expletives. Sadly, writing for a website means that I have to curb that tendency and find other ways of getting my excitement across. SOMETIMES BY BEING REALLY SHOUTY and sometimes by trying to fit as many words into a really long but snappy, slightly confusing but communicative nevertheless sentence that wordily expresses that I’ve crossed over the threshold to a whole new level of frantic hysteria.
In the case of Late Night Work Club’s debut animation however, I’m going to just stick with what comes naturally; shit the bed, this is great stuff!
Ghost Stories features the work of eleven brilliant animators, all telling their own unique stories that they’ve written, directed and animated themselves in between freelance animation gigs and their day jobs. The films were made between September 2012 and August 2013. For a little evening side project it’s a staggeringly good watch and makes a brilliant case for working under your own steam. Unconstrained by the whims of their clients each animator has had the opportunity to let their imaginations run riot, and the results speak for themselves. Massive congratulations to Dave Prosser, Charles Huettner, Sean Buckelew, Jake Armstrong and Erin Kilkenny, Caleb Wood, Louise Bagnall, Alex Grigg, Conor Finnegan, Ciaran Duffy, Eamonn O’Neill and Scott Benson, you guys deserve some kind of award!
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant