Lernert & Sander’s brilliance lies in their ability to see a brief from a point of view that manages to be both really obvious and completely novel at the same time. So when the Dutch artists and directors were commissioned by 3.1 Phillip Lim to promote their new shoe range, they went back to basics and realised that footwear, in essence, is all about feet. They then tracked down and interviewed four of the world’s leading foot models, pedicured professionals who have stood in for the likes of Brad Pitt, Sarah Jessica Parker and Madonna in the past.
The interviews are really interesting, as the four discuss everything from signature poses and shaping foot hair to the science of beautiful feet (it involves cutting out salt and sleeping with plastic bags wrapped round your ankles apparently) and the black and white films focus simply on the five-toed stars of the show, before the brand message kicks in.
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- From analogue printing to illustration: meet Marc Hennes
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc