I know what you’re thinking – “oh, jolly good – another indie mag repurposing erotica” – but happily, Paris-based magazine L’imparfaite does much more than most sexy mags. Founded in 2009 by graduates from the prestigious Sciences Po Paris institute of political studies, the publication was conceived as a kind of revolution. “The journal drew much attention by offering critical inquiry into gender and sexuality and by literally undressing the future elite of French politics,” the editors explain. “Since then, the journal has extended its reach beyond the academy and welcomed contributions by writers and photographers from around the world.”
Focusing on the sociopolitical aspects of sex, L’imparfaite approaches it as an innately human activity, dressing it down and displaying it openly rather than venerating it as an immaculate ideal. Narrowing in on the aesthetic properties of such stories, the magazine then retells them in the form of poetry, photography, interviews and illustration. “ L’imparfaite is not a journal for the gay community or the straight community, for men, for women, for trans- or cisgendered folks,” it explains. “Rather, it is a catalyst for those curious to explore how sex and eroticism can be a window into the world.”
Furthermore, it’s an exceedingly good looking one. This issue was art directed by Aude Debout and VLF Studio, continuing the publication’s growing reputation as a “one-of-a-kind aesthetic object," with features by Camille Vivier, Arnaud Lajeunie, Walter Pfeiffer and Mrzyk and Moriceau. I for one can’t wait to get my hands on it.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s