Now the London Design Festival is up and running there’s an overwhelming amount of shows, talks, tours and open studios vying for your attention and your time.Here’s just a few picks we feel are well worth seeking out.
The V&A corners the market for big installations with the jaw-dropping Timber Wave outside the entrance and the briliant Bouroullec brothers’ Textile Field taking over the Raphael Gallery. REDDRESS in Bethnal Green looks INSANE while Thierry Drefus’ Wall Rupture will melt your mind.
Architecture wise, John Pawson’s Persepctives installation at St Paul’s Cathedral is extraordinary, Claesson Koivisto Rune have a show at the Skandium warehouse and Dainow & Dainow present Imagined Cities a great mix of new talent and established names.
So much furniture, product and lighting to feast on, Faye Toogood’s new show is hotly-anticipated, Tent London, Lux Craft at Origin, designjunction bring together many exhibitors under one roof, Look Mum No Hands hosts Furniture For Bikes from Quarterre and Barber & Osgerby open their new show at The Haunch of Venison at the end of the week. And you’ll be going to see Tom Dixon at the Dock, obviously.
More than 30 countries are represented at this year’s festival, we pick Matilda at designjunction as potentially the star of the show, The UK China Art and Design Festival will be interesting and Whiteout showcases the best Danish designers around.
Live events play a massive part as usual at this year’s festival, The Google Design Lectures should be excellent, The Lego Greenhouse in Covent Garden is a must-see for kids (and big kids) and The Curious World of Skew hosts a great weekend programme. Also, a talk on transport signage? Consider our imagination captured.
This year it feels like graphic design and illustration is punching above its weight so where to start? Noma Bar, Alan Fletcher, Ian Wright? Oh and go and see Ben Newman’s Masks at No Brow. Great stuff!
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s