Today’s offerings from The London Design Festival centre around the launch of the stunning new book celebrating Danish textile firm Kvadrat. Much respected among the creative community but sometimes little known in the wider world, the beautiful book designed by Graphic Thought Facility and overseen by the legendary Peter Saville shows just why the firm is so highly regarded, by dint of their excellent collaborations with the likes of Tord Boontje, the Bouroullec Brothers and Olafur Eliasson. Below you can here an extended interview with Peter Saville and with several of those who have contributed.
In the foreword, Peter Saville explains that he is “evangelical” about Kvadrat because “they work according to the kind of template that one idealised in the past; relationships between artist, designer and manufacturer that are driven by belief and commitment, in the way the cannon of great design has always been forged.”
This book tells the story of those collaborations, and even with the wealth of gorgeous imagery GTF have dope a predictably excellent job of marshalling the material. A special word on the cover – the unwashed coloured wool comes from the technicolour-marked sheep lends the book an immediately intriguing and gently iconoclastic feel.
Interwoven: Kvadrat Textile and Design is available now.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting