Today’s offerings from The London Design Festival centre around the launch of the stunning new book celebrating Danish textile firm Kvadrat. Much respected among the creative community but sometimes little known in the wider world, the beautiful book designed by Graphic Thought Facility and overseen by the legendary Peter Saville shows just why the firm is so highly regarded, by dint of their excellent collaborations with the likes of Tord Boontje, the Bouroullec Brothers and Olafur Eliasson. Below you can here an extended interview with Peter Saville and with several of those who have contributed.
In the foreword, Peter Saville explains that he is “evangelical” about Kvadrat because “they work according to the kind of template that one idealised in the past; relationships between artist, designer and manufacturer that are driven by belief and commitment, in the way the cannon of great design has always been forged.”
This book tells the story of those collaborations, and even with the wealth of gorgeous imagery GTF have dope a predictably excellent job of marshalling the material. A special word on the cover – the unwashed coloured wool comes from the technicolour-marked sheep lends the book an immediately intriguing and gently iconoclastic feel.
Interwoven: Kvadrat Textile and Design is available now.
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- The best things on the web, YOUR best comments and the finest folk to follow on social media
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery