Today’s offerings from The London Design Festival centre around the launch of the stunning new book celebrating Danish textile firm Kvadrat. Much respected among the creative community but sometimes little known in the wider world, the beautiful book designed by Graphic Thought Facility and overseen by the legendary Peter Saville shows just why the firm is so highly regarded, by dint of their excellent collaborations with the likes of Tord Boontje, the Bouroullec Brothers and Olafur Eliasson. Below you can here an extended interview with Peter Saville and with several of those who have contributed.
In the foreword, Peter Saville explains that he is “evangelical” about Kvadrat because “they work according to the kind of template that one idealised in the past; relationships between artist, designer and manufacturer that are driven by belief and commitment, in the way the cannon of great design has always been forged.”
This book tells the story of those collaborations, and even with the wealth of gorgeous imagery GTF have dope a predictably excellent job of marshalling the material. A special word on the cover – the unwashed coloured wool comes from the technicolour-marked sheep lends the book an immediately intriguing and gently iconoclastic feel.
Interwoven: Kvadrat Textile and Design is available now.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations