Lucy Engelman is an illustrator in the most traditional sense of the word. The Michigan-based image maker spends her days with dip pen and ink, rendering landscapes and animals from the natural world with scratchy anatomical precision. Inspired almost exclusively by the great American outdoors her work is littered with flora and fauna native to the USA, manifested in lifelike natural scenes, taxonomic drawings and laboriously detailed maps.
Having only recently graduated from the University of Michigan she’s had the good fortune to work for a great selection of print-based clients who clearly appreciate her traditional skill set and expert attention to detail.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”