When looking at the portfolio of Berlin-based photographer Lukas Korschan, the majority of projects are fashion focused. However, sitting among commissions for Comme des Garcons, Adidas and Ignant is a series on Dulwich football club, a small club whose following has gained a resurgence in recent years, bringing together locals and hipsters over a £10 ticket and a cheap pint.
“I love football, but next to the actual game I love the culture around it,” Lukas tells It’s Nice That. “It’s super diverse and yet very simple. That’s something I am drawn to and coming from fashion photography, lately I have been doing a lot of off pitch football projects.”
Dulwich Hamlet in particular raised Lukas’ interest, “for being this liberal and open-minded South London club with a great history (former Dulwich player Benjamin Odeje for example, the first black footballer to represent England at any level)”. The football club’s cultural diversity, and the tiny details that make up Dulwich’s individual character, are captured by Lukas’ lens. From nail biting older fans, to kids giggling holding packets of biscuits. “I visited for one game and tried to capture everything but what was going on at the football pitch,” says Lukas. “Simply photographing the people around it — fans, club staff and the scenery.
“Even though they’re playing in a low amateur league, the stadium is always packed and very energetic — because in contrast to Premier League club stadiums people can drink beer, stand up and let loose.”
- Photographer John Laurie explores sports culture in Uzbekistan
- Young love lasts a lifetime: Ewen Spencer on his new book
- The frustration of crazy golf embodied by student animation collective Megacomputeur
- Enormous 20ft Barbies and bluebottles in real-life locations, by photographer Michael John Hunter
- French animator Jon Boutin's quick-witted shorts will have you creasing
- The MIT Technology Review design team share their love of printed matter
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU