When I think of public interaction instantly images of embarrassed people or worse, over-enthusiastic people are conjured up, standing in a circle passing a “thought ball” around. It doesn’t have to be this way though and Luna Maurer with her design practice, Poly-luna are demonstrating why with their many exciting projects.
Take their Human Interference Project where they asked a range of artists, designers and friends to draw a closed shape on a piece of A4 and repeat the shape both inside and outside of the original shape until the piece of paper is filled with approximately 50 iterations on the page. Oddly mathematical figures are created by hand-drawing them which have a lovely quality.
Another project, Green Grass Fungus part of the Fungus Series is playful, fun and there’s nothing embarrassing about it all. Visitors to the exhibition space are given four stickers when entering and asked to affix them on the exhibition floor with the rule being that the sticker must be attached to a full side of an already place sticker. What’s created is a flurorescent green vine of stickers climbing around the space and up the walls, a temporary record of everyone that visited the space and got involved. Good stuff!
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting