When I think of public interaction instantly images of embarrassed people or worse, over-enthusiastic people are conjured up, standing in a circle passing a “thought ball” around. It doesn’t have to be this way though and Luna Maurer with her design practice, Poly-luna are demonstrating why with their many exciting projects.
Take their Human Interference Project where they asked a range of artists, designers and friends to draw a closed shape on a piece of A4 and repeat the shape both inside and outside of the original shape until the piece of paper is filled with approximately 50 iterations on the page. Oddly mathematical figures are created by hand-drawing them which have a lovely quality.
Another project, Green Grass Fungus part of the Fungus Series is playful, fun and there’s nothing embarrassing about it all. Visitors to the exhibition space are given four stickers when entering and asked to affix them on the exhibition floor with the rule being that the sticker must be attached to a full side of an already place sticker. What’s created is a flurorescent green vine of stickers climbing around the space and up the walls, a temporary record of everyone that visited the space and got involved. Good stuff!
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations