At its finest, art direction is about creating brilliant imagery that fulfils the brief it’s been set. Tip the balance too far one way and the results can be sterile or obvious, go too far the other way and you can get wackiness for the sake of wackiness.
M/M Paris are just about the best art directors around, in no small part because they understand this delicate balancing act. Their latest campaign for Missoni saw them work with artist and photographer Viviane Sassen to create this extraordinary series of a model and “abstract, geometric silhouettes of robotic alter egos”, all shot against the evocative backdrop of some archaeological ruins. It sounds, well, insane but the is talented lot really made it work.
Missoni say the set-up transforms the model “into the adventurous character from a sci-fi cartoon or a Futurist figure in the style of Balla or Depero. This multifaceted model of femininity and elegance, simultaneously sinuous and angular, daring and ironic… conceiving a version of a world advanced in time: like a daydream in the year 2970 that symobolises the aspirations, energy and highly imaginative vitality of the Missoni language.” Quite.
- Rob Flowers, Roberto Rosolin, Liv Siddall and Greg Barth at Nicer Tuesdays October
- Milou Trouwborst's refined, simplistic and melancholic illustrations
- "It was strangely liberating" – Christoph Niemann on creating his new book Sunday Sketching
- Designer Okuyama Taiki encourages you to “play freely” with his experimental posters
- Gijs Henselmans’ illustrations: absurd, gruesome, but always hilarious
- All That Glitters: inside the Barbican’s “vulgar” catalogue
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design