At its finest, art direction is about creating brilliant imagery that fulfils the brief it’s been set. Tip the balance too far one way and the results can be sterile or obvious, go too far the other way and you can get wackiness for the sake of wackiness.
M/M Paris are just about the best art directors around, in no small part because they understand this delicate balancing act. Their latest campaign for Missoni saw them work with artist and photographer Viviane Sassen to create this extraordinary series of a model and “abstract, geometric silhouettes of robotic alter egos”, all shot against the evocative backdrop of some archaeological ruins. It sounds, well, insane but the is talented lot really made it work.
Missoni say the set-up transforms the model “into the adventurous character from a sci-fi cartoon or a Futurist figure in the style of Balla or Depero. This multifaceted model of femininity and elegance, simultaneously sinuous and angular, daring and ironic… conceiving a version of a world advanced in time: like a daydream in the year 2970 that symobolises the aspirations, energy and highly imaginative vitality of the Missoni language.” Quite.
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Design studio Build creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Enter your work for the chance to be an It’s Nice That Graduate of 2016!
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs