Let’s make no bones about it, Britain is Europe’s binge-drinking capital and if photographer Maciej Dakowicz’s new book (and my experience of being a student in Cardiff for three years) is anything to go by, it is a reputation the partygoers flocking to the streets of the Welsh capital are proud to live up to.
From bodies sprawled across the pavements, bloody noses, shameless flirtation and no end to the scantily-clad and fancily-dressed, Cardiff, and indeed Maciej, have witnessed it all.
Spending five years documenting the Saturday night revellers as they spill onto the streets (and into the chip shops) of the city, Maciej’s new book Cardiff After Dark takes no prisoners, laying bare the emotions that come with one gin and tonic too many, and the photographs stand as a stunningly poignant documentation of Britain’s drinking culture. From elation and joy to sadness and humiliation, Maciej captures it all rather perfectly.
Cardiff After Dark by Maciej Dakowicz, published by Thames & Hudson is available now and the series is on show at The Third Floor Gallery in Cardiff from October 14 until December 2.
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- Anxiety, speed and rave flyers: artist Mark Leckey on his iconic video "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore"
- We speak to Lovetrue director Alma Har’el about her surrealist short film for The Fifth Sense
- Adventures in Typography: Spin’s new book about its creative process
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality