Good news! Mark Mulroney’s collage and painted comic abstractions (that featured in issue eight of our magazine) – as funny as the viewer is suggestively minded, or else just nicely composed works of the cartoon variety – are now on show at London’s Galleries Goldstein.
His intuitively-composed works are playful and honest, drawing from the years of pictorial education courtesy of Iron Maiden record covers, comics and naked ladies in magazines. It’s fun not “fine” and artists who can boast being able to evoke anything other than blinks from a viewer are rarer then you’d think.
Part of the joy of the work is Mark’s ability to give life to inanimate things: “Every object is a character. They might not have a specific name or personality but they do play a role in the story of the picture.” You can see this approach in his !!! series that animates such innocuous items as a string of sausages.
So if your favourite cartoon character is Ren from Ren and Stimpy and have a penchant for visual innuendos, there is literally no where else you should be.
Mark Mulroney’s Spring Time Pictures will be on show from May 3 to May 26.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations