You might remember a competition we ran back in April (perhaps not, but we’re here to remind you!) challenging a creative to create a label for Scottish distillery Bunnahabhain’s collaboration with The Fishermens’ Mission. The task was to think up a contemporary slant on the brand’s longstanding identity, which focuses on the image of a travelling helmsman returning to his distillery.
We’re super excited to announce that the winner is Mathilda Holmqvist! Mathilda is a London-based, Swedish-born illustrator with a flair for creating imagery inspired by the landscapes and traditions which surround her, which might explain why her design for the Bunnahabhain label is so effective. Combining a strong narrative of the weary sailor returning home with her own distinct and welcoming style, Mathilda captured the brief perfectly while still managing to give her image plenty of her own character. Well done Mathilda!
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again