Maya Fuhr first popped up on our radar with her incredible series Garbage Girls, in which she photographed girls in their very very messy bedrooms, to brilliant effect. She’s back now with a new project Diary Girls, made in collaboration with art director Nicole Dagenais. They shot some of their favourite female artists for the series for BULLETT Magazine – Agathe Snow, Jeanette Hayes and Sara Cwynar among them – in front of huge blown-up pages from the artists’ personal diaries. The resulting photographs are oddly exposing; secret reflections, drawings, collages and self-portraits all feature on the extracted pages, which function more like a window into the soul than simply a piece of artwork.
And this is exactly what makes Maya’s work so utterly original; her portraits hinge on the details, where other photographers are hell-bent on simply photographing a pretty face. Even more interestingly, by taking common preconceptions about girls – from messy bedrooms, to confessions about boys scribbled in their diaries – and exaggerating them to the point that they’re completely subverted, she’s creating a malleable and personal image of femininity that’s harder to capture than a thief in the night. We can’t wait to see what she does next.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting