There’s something of an updated Edward Hopper feel about the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG advert featuring melifluous Scottish actor Dougray Scott. The spot begins with The Doug leaving a late-night diner before embarking on a minute-long meditation on the nature of desire, seemingly with reference to his past, his career and the transient nature of fame. Of course in the end the car wrongfoots what he thinks he knows, but it’s really beautifully shot and well-scripted.
This article was produced in association with Mercedes.
- Thomas Prior captures a Mexican festival involving exploding sledgehammers
- The misty-eyed and delicate pencil marks of Lee Kyutae
- Build’s brand identity for product design brand Plæy mirrors its playful and modular designs
- David Bailey's photographs of NW1, republished and exhibited for the first time
- Studio Mut creates a catalogue for Italian art prize that celebrates up-and-coming artists
- A forward-minded retrospective: behind the design of the massive Cedric Price monograph
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich