There’s something of an updated Edward Hopper feel about the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG advert featuring melifluous Scottish actor Dougray Scott. The spot begins with The Doug leaving a late-night diner before embarking on a minute-long meditation on the nature of desire, seemingly with reference to his past, his career and the transient nature of fame. Of course in the end the car wrongfoots what he thinks he knows, but it’s really beautifully shot and well-scripted.
This article was produced in association with Mercedes.
- “My personal work informs everything that comes after it" and other bits we learned at September's Nicer Tuesdays
- Xiang Guan’s Symbiotic Objects require a human component
- Alex Fergusson on the provocative and powerful nature of surface graphics
- Bendik Kaltenborn talks us through his retrospective book, collating ten years worth of work
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books