Remember about halfway through last year there were reports of seeing strange hacked cars parked in Paris? Rumour had it that they were something to do with Michel Gondry’s latest project, but no one knew for sure. Now though, with the release of this goosebump-inducing trailer, we can know for sure that they were something to do with Gondry, and that we should be very, very excited about what is about to hit cinemas in the UK.
Mood Indigo is a film based on an old novel called L’Écume des Jours in which a man keeps his dying wife alive by constantly surrounding her with flowers. From the looks of it, this film is very romantic, very Gondry, and could be his best work to date. People are already blogging about it like crazy — one person said it seemed very much like Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind but with “a shit-load more quirk”.
Also, while you’re here, it’s probably worth watching this little animation entitled Haircut Mouse that he released to his fans as a happy 2013 present. What a guy.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again