Wowserino! That’s the only apt exclamation for the work of Chicago based graphic designer and illustrator Mike McQuade whose portfolio is a treasure trove of excellent ideas artfully executed. His online profile tells us that he believes, “hard work, persistence, insane optimism and mistakes lead to better work” and it’s a clearly a strategy that is reaping the rewards.
A range of work for big name clients combines powerful imagery with consummate skill and I particularly like how he presents the work, not overloading visitors to his website but focussing on a few choice visuals often of the work in situ.“I am obsessed with visual communication, sometimes it’s strange and awkward, other times beautiful and moving, most of the time it’s outrageous and full of insults. Nevertheless, it’s fun to observe and it indirectly informs all of my work, " Mike says. “No matter how good the execution or style of a piece, it will not work without a great idea.”
Mike, you had me on hello.
- It's Nice That visits the Turner Prize
- Our Favourite Places is promoting the creative wealth of innovative Sheffield
- Meet tarot-obsessed Gucci illustrator Jayde Fish
- Julia Autz documents Transnistria, a country steeped in Soviet nostalgia
- Felicity Marshall, the illustrator merging editorial and fashion design
- Wow Factor: the eye-popping results of A Load of Jargon's printing workshops
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf