There are many great films which whatever they purport to be about, are actually about co-operation. Cool Runnings? Co-operation. Independence Day? Co-operation. Reservoir Dogs? Well you get the idea, and the Third Annual Mill Co. Exhibition is further proof that co-operation is a belting theme for creatives.
Spread throughout the organisation’s impressive new east London space The Mill Co. Project, the show takes in graphic design, photography, illustration, film, photography and sculpture with some really top-notch work on display.
Both Eleanor Marechal’s handsome visualisations of Ebenezer Howard’s Garden City principles and Florence Boyd’s darker dog-based illustration tackle urban spaces in interesting ways while the wonderfully titled sorryimworking’s Instagram photographs capture co-operation of the natural and manmade worlds.
Rhiannon Adam showcases both a beautiful illustration of a flock of swallows and a photo documentation of some of the key buildings in the history of the co-operative movement and there’s a host of great prints from the likes of Tom Frost, Claire Scully, Toby Stevens and David Hazell.
The show, which runs until November 23, is in association with The Co-operative, so it’s eye candy with a social conscience. Yes please…
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project