It’s hard to convey with simple words just how much I love the work of Mirko Borsche. A facial expression might do it better; wide-eyed excitement paired with an open mouth that’s just loosed a glistening bulb of drool. You see Mirko’s pretty much single-handedly transforming the visual landscape of classical music in Germany, producing printed collateral for the Bayerische Staatsoper that adds an up-to-date approach to material so often treated with a woeful lack of creativity or imagination.
It’s widely accepted that music of a certain era should be paired with imagery that matches it, so baroque comes with oil paintings of bewigged regency figures – actually pretty much all visual material pertaining to classical music features an oil painting in some form. It’s a schtick that’s hard to shake. But Mirko’s turing the tables on this creatively barren landscape, injecting opera programmes with a deserved luxury and a visual framework that’s more suited to the timeless quality of the material itself. After all, opera is just a story set to music; the staging of it offers as much creative freedom as a director chooses and the related print material should reflect that.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant