I inherited some Delia Smith cookery books a few years back and was told they would be the first and last cookery books I’ll ever need. One glance inside showed mw that was certainly not the case. Gracing the pages were congealed stews, odd canapes and photos of eggs that made me feel weird about them to this day. I know it was probably all delicious in real life but what is up with retro food photography?
A woman named Kim from Texas has compiled as many gross food photos from the olden days as she possibly can and has collated them in this informative, hilarious and nauseating blog. As alien as the food looks, there is something spectacularly brilliant about these soft-lit shots. Also, you just can’t put a price on some of the creativity displayed in some of those party buffet spreads.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s