I inherited some Delia Smith cookery books a few years back and was told they would be the first and last cookery books I’ll ever need. One glance inside showed mw that was certainly not the case. Gracing the pages were congealed stews, odd canapes and photos of eggs that made me feel weird about them to this day. I know it was probably all delicious in real life but what is up with retro food photography?
A woman named Kim from Texas has compiled as many gross food photos from the olden days as she possibly can and has collated them in this informative, hilarious and nauseating blog. As alien as the food looks, there is something spectacularly brilliant about these soft-lit shots. Also, you just can’t put a price on some of the creativity displayed in some of those party buffet spreads.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”