I inherited some Delia Smith cookery books a few years back and was told they would be the first and last cookery books I’ll ever need. One glance inside showed mw that was certainly not the case. Gracing the pages were congealed stews, odd canapes and photos of eggs that made me feel weird about them to this day. I know it was probably all delicious in real life but what is up with retro food photography?
A woman named Kim from Texas has compiled as many gross food photos from the olden days as she possibly can and has collated them in this informative, hilarious and nauseating blog. As alien as the food looks, there is something spectacularly brilliant about these soft-lit shots. Also, you just can’t put a price on some of the creativity displayed in some of those party buffet spreads.
- Design's many, many layers, and the power of music, at Nicer Tuesdays July
- It’s just life: The democratic eye of William Eggleston
- Tim Lahan is the new Mystic Meg with horoscope illustrations for Elle Magazine
- Musical instruments with a modernist aesthetic by Hundo
- Former Buzzcocks drummer John Maher exhibits his photography work in Nobody's Home
- Monument Valley creator ustwo gives us a peek at its bookshelf
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale