Lots of art galleries and museums spend vast amounts of time (and sometimes money) considering how they can attract more young visitors and they come up with all manner of clever solutions. But it’s surprising how rarely these institutions tackle the issue in the most straightforward way imaginable – by putting on a show aimed squarely at this demographic. Credit then to Frankfurt’ s Museum für Moderne Kunst (MMK) which is currently hosting Pssst, featuring 17 artists (nine local and eight form the UK) who have produced work for children aged between five and 12, based around the theme “secrets.”
Highlights include two huge murals on either side of a wall by the brilliant Supermundane with connecting tubes for visitors to talk through, a flower by Thomas Forsyth that senses movement and dances with passers-by and a confession booth by Kirsten and Zuni von Zubinski in with youngsters write their sins which then get shredded and pop out of a monster’s mouth (good idea for the Catholic Church maybe??). There’s also a display of things found in children’s pockets and a machine that lets you record and scratch with your own voice courtesy of Christopher Fellehne.
With so much fun and imagination on display, you can’t help but feel the MMK is onto a bit of a winner, as are the children of Frankfurt. Pssst runs until January 27.
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery