When he’s not recruiting Twitter trolls to go after his many plagiarists, Bingo is taking full advantage of the “here is a ten-minute window to buy something…GO!” technique. For a small fee, Bingo will take an old – usually quite hilarious – postcard, and on the back inscribe a brief, insulting message, often containing some sort of horrible picture which is then mailed to whoever coughs up the cash. I myself have succumbed to the charm of Bingo’s Hate Mail, and you know what? The day a postcard arrived for me calling me a “Total Bastard” kind of made my week. Now he’s made about 400 of these insulting pieces of post fodder, they have been collated in book-form in a publication that Bingo describes as “A book about telling strangers to f*ck off” and has to be the best stocking-filler ever created.
When asked if he had ever received any hate mail of his own, Bingo told us: “It’s not strictly hate mail, but when I was in halls of residence in my first year of university, someone wrote ‘F*CK YOU’ in permanent marker on my bedroom door. I never found out who it was!”
Catch up with the wonderful man himself at his book launch and signing at Camden Town Brewery on October 25 and if that isn’t enough to tempt you, Bingo will be serving his own Ltd Edition Hate Ale, made with Camden Brewery. More details here.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery