Our totes adorbs-ometer was going off the scale when we first saw the work of Peru-based image-maker Mr Kat, usually known as Jaime Álvarez Sobreviela. Creating an entire imaginary universe, he populates it with impossibly cute creatures including his namesake Mr Kat, a cosmic panda, some little round pufferfish type things and more abstract anthropomorphises like skulls.
Created using 3D modelling software, each image is exquisitely smooth and polished, making the lines between reality and fantasy feel all the more blurred. “I started Mr Kat to create a personal style while I could keep learning and enjoying what I do,” says Jaime.
“In this imaginary world, urban Mr Kat is an artist interested in the fusion between the ancestral and pop culture. His characters have kawaii faces and refined bodies as if they were sculptures. In parallel, we are presented with the world that surrounds him, such as moons, watermelons or other kats.”
Some of Jaime’s creations have been realised in sculptural form, painstakingly created by local Peruvian craftspeople out of resin or wood.
“Kawai designs have a great power of communication. They are synthesised and universal expressions combined with extreme tenderness that transport kids as much as adults,” Jaime adds. “My designs are especially sensorial, with characters that seem to express the feeling that the viewer wants according to his emotional state.”
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design