It’s always nice when two of your favourite artists are brought together in some way, when one kind of art form inspires another. Great collaborators often produce great work: I’m thinking of Michael Gondry’s music video for Björk, or Dali’s dream sequence for Hitchcock, or Keith Haring painting Grace Jones. So I was very excited to see Markus Hofko, a.k.a the Bow, a.k.a Rainbowmonkey, a New Zealand based graphic designer and digital artist, making a video for Flying Lotus’ shimmering track Phantasm (feat. Laura Darlington).
I first came across Hofko when I saw his glow-in-the-dark cover for Desktop magazine, which transformed everyday household objects into creepy creatures if you turned the lights off. As to be expected, the result of pairing Hofko with the otherworldly sounds of Flying Lotus is mind-blowing.
Set in a desert landscape, a hairy creature that looks a bit like the offspring of Chewbacca unravels a Mummy made from constellations – it’s Star Wars meets Antony Gormley meets Chirico meets the rings of Jupiter. The combination of stunning digital manipulation, and a guy crawling about in a rag suit, is humorous, surreal and poignant all at once. The unlikely pair make their brief and dream-like journey through a barren landscape accompanied by Darlington’s haunting vocals and the cosmic soundscape of the track. It’s quite a trip, and you definitely won’t want to come back down to earth. This is a music video not to be missed, and a graphic designer to keep an eye on.
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant