What an excellent choice here from illustrator/publisher/video-maker Braulio Amado. Braulio’s eclectic body of work has been popping up on It’s Nice That in all its weird and wonderful forms for a while now, and we were curious as to what makes this multi-talented creative reach for the pen and ideas pad. As expected, Braulio did not go down the traditional route of a conventional music video and has instead chosen a mind-blowing dance scene from a classic musical. I’m 100% with him, this is probably one of the best things I’ve ever seen.
Braulio Amado: Sweet Charity – The Aloof, The Heavyweight, and The Big Finish
My all-time favorite video, although music-oriented, isn’t really a music video, it’s actually a sequence of dance scenes from a movie: Bob Fosse’s 1969 musical Sweet Charity. The dance scenes are entitled, The Aloof, The Heavyweight, and The Big Finish which all connect into one longer piece named Rich Man’s Frug, set in a secret club in New York City.
Many people have obviously been inspired by Bob Fosse’s work. Some may have taken this inspiration a bit too far and ripped him off a bit too much – Beyonce, cough cough - but keeping in mind the year that Sweet Charity was made, and the era during which most of Fosse’s work was produced, there weren’t many people capturing the glamour and dance-craze-craziness of that time nearly as well as he did. I feel like most Broadway musicals nowadays are still reworkings of old shows, instead of original productions that feel contemporary, but I’m not really an expert in the field. I actually don’t even know very much about musicals at all, but when I was shown this video for the first time my brain basically exploded and since that first viewing, I’ve gone back to revisit it quite often as it’s still one of the best things I have ever seen.
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"