Apartamento founder and creative director Nacho Alegre has made a series of food monsters for German publication Zeit Magazin.
“So I got the commission from Andreas Wellnitz from Zeit Magazin to do a shoot on recipes had been accidentally found out,” Nacho explains. “I thought kitchen accidents…. food frankensteins…. monsters So I thought it could be a fun thing to try.”
“I called [art director] Ana Dominguez to help me do it, and we tried a couple approaches to it,” Nacho says. “We didn’t know if to go more dramatic or try a more infantile idea. In the end we went with these silly eyes which made the whole idea even more stupid, which is part of what made it fun.”
More curious than scary, the pallid-looking creatures are built from a stack of ingredients probably best left on the chopping board. By combining sheets of raw pastry, apples, grapes, grated cheese, nachos, uncooked sausages, beansprouts and pretzels, Nacho’s frankenstein creations are brought to life by the addition of astutely-placed plastic goggly eyes which lend them a human-like charm.
- "The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger" - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Friday Mixtape: Robbie Simon's mix for a party at 9am, with no end in sight
- Jack Davison captures the “progress of time” for Noon magazine
- Kyung Me’s detailed series tells the tale of a cat struggling with identity
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s