Chilean-American producer and recording artist Nicolas Jaar has released Network an artist’s book co-published with Printed Matter and his label, Other People. The book collates a multi-phase project of Nicolas’, “which takes the form of an online, semi-fictitious network of interlocking radio stations around chance operations,” says Printed Matter.
The publication designed by Jena Ayung and Maziyar Pahlevan presents Network as a visual representation of the web-based radio network that precedes it. It includes visual essays by Lydia Lunch, Linda van Deursen and Nicolas Jaar alongside poster artwork by the designers and Nicolas, advertising 111 radio shows from 333 stations. The book also includes transcriptions from each radio show, manipulated into sprawling text across pages.
Network began after Nicolas was invited to take part in a six-month residency at the BBC, during which he wrote a radio play positioning an invented DJ in a residency in a fake BBC-style radio station. The program was “deemed too far out and never realised”. Instead, Nicolas teamed with programmer Cole Brown and devised Other People Network. The website hosts programs on a continuous loop, choosing alternate stations when you enter a number between 1-333.
In both the publication and website Network “gives theoretical consideration to the inherent political possibilities of radio broadcast”. Sticking to a numeral theme the first edition is a run of 1100 copies, for $33.00.
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Offshore Studio on their publication re-appropriating the word “migrant”
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos