In a brilliantly refreshing twist on the tired, Tumblr friendly images of beautiful girls naked beneath their translucent nighties, Nir Arieli’s portraiture project, Men, focuses on the male of the species. Poised, graceful and striking in their defiance of traditional classifications of masculinity, the soft gaze of the lens and the floral settings which surround his subjects seem to upset some kind of silent gender-norm that I didn’t even realise had infiltrated my mind until I was forced to resist it.
Nir began his career as a photographer for the Israeli magazine Bamachane before winning a scholarship to study at New York’s School of Visual Arts, and perhaps the military influence is still evident in his work; there’s certainly a kind of violence dormant in his images in spite of the fact that he cites “beauty and gentleness” as being at the heart of his work. His portraits of dancers beg attention too possessing the same kind of tension and refinement as pervades all of his work. Definitely one to watch.
- The sun's shining, the weather is sweet: here's the Best of the Web
- Great new film series profiling the individuals challenging the macho stereotypes of rugby
- Tom Cockram's photographs of Brazil’s street culture in the lead up to last year’s World Cup
- Clever, well-observed editorial illustrations from Toronto-based Peter Thomas Ryan
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection
- Utopia-focussed design work from studio Public School
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography
- “What’s your style? I don’t fucking know. You tell me mate”: A no nonsense look at the work of Barber Osgerby
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team