This week’s much publicised collapse of the UK’s most recognisable record store chain HMV led to some predictable handwringing over the state of the music industry. It was just the latest chapter in the almost universal pessimism surrounding this much-maligned cultural cornerstone – a tale of decline that blames variously globalisation, technology and insidious taste-makers. Massive kudos then to the Sundance Channel and Nokia who have produced six films bucking this trend, celebrating the vibrant music scenes in six American cities where exciting and innovative talents shape and are shaped by their hometowns. Cleverly they’ve been directed by some of SomeSuch & Co’s stellar roster of music video directors, who are able to offer authoritative tonal and aesthetic insights into these scenes while having the chance to turn their hands to something slightly different.
So there is Emily Kai Bock on New York’s new urban music direction, Tyrone LeBon on Atlanta’s strip-club scene and acid house in Los Angeles, Bob Harlow on Detroit’s street sounds and Abteen Bagheri charting Portland’s dance culture and the modern manifestations of New Orleans’ musical heritage. Even though we’ve only seen trailers and teasers so far, there’s more than enough reason to be confident that this will be a special set of films.
The teasers for New York, Atlanta and New Orleans are below and the full films debut on the Sundance Channel tomorrow.
- Poised for greatness: Gustl the dog as photographed by proud owner Lukas Wassmann
- Should account handlers and project managers be awarded like creatives?
- Graphic designer Kristoffer Halse Sølling navigates the power play between customer and superstore
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016
- What do you do if your design agency fails? One designer and ex-agency owner's support and advice
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood