Thought up one day by Timba Smits and Gordon “Flash” Shaw on the bus to a hospital appointment, the brilliantly named Not For Rental currently on show at London’s 71A Gallery exhibits work by hundreds of the most exciting emerging talent in art, illustration, photography and graphic design. This isn’t just any exhibition, however; as the title infers, each piece of work looks to condense the plot of the artist’s favourite film into one image, and it’s then exhibited as the sleeve art in a VHS case. It’s like all of your nineties teenage dreams merged in one Blockbuster basement!
Alongside the work, a number of workshops, talks and film screenings are taking place in the gallery space, and on Saturday July 13 all of the artwork on show will be sold on a first come first served basis at £50 a pop. All proceeds go to Art Against Knives and Macmillan Cancer Support. If this doesn’t make you want to dust off your old video collection and fumble around behind the telly with a bunch of scart leads and a head full of determination then frankly, I don’t know what will.
Not For Rental is at 71A Gallery in London from July 4 to July 13.
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs