We like it when people collaborate. There’s something pleasing about imagining a bunch of folks with unique interests and skills embracing their differences to do something they wouldn’t have been able to on their own. What’s even better is when those different people with different skills happen to be two of your favourite practitioners in architecture and illustration respectively, coming together to produce a huge, colourful shed in the middle of the woods.
Ecology of Colour is exactly that, a glorious collaboration between Nous Vous and Studio Weave that sees William Edmonds’ precise geometric designs hand-painted onto a beautiful cedar structure, creating an approachable and inviting environment to house dyeing and wildlife workshops for the local community.
Situated at the heart of Ecology Island in Central Park, Dartford the structure was designed “to act as a jolly custodian for the re-imagined park” that has recently received serious investment from the Arts Council and Artlands. Completed in late September, the space is now open to the public and offers a surprisingly scenic environment in one of Kent’s less inviting boroughs.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography