We like it when people collaborate. There’s something pleasing about imagining a bunch of folks with unique interests and skills embracing their differences to do something they wouldn’t have been able to on their own. What’s even better is when those different people with different skills happen to be two of your favourite practitioners in architecture and illustration respectively, coming together to produce a huge, colourful shed in the middle of the woods.
Ecology of Colour is exactly that, a glorious collaboration between Nous Vous and Studio Weave that sees William Edmonds’ precise geometric designs hand-painted onto a beautiful cedar structure, creating an approachable and inviting environment to house dyeing and wildlife workshops for the local community.
Situated at the heart of Ecology Island in Central Park, Dartford the structure was designed “to act as a jolly custodian for the re-imagined park” that has recently received serious investment from the Arts Council and Artlands. Completed in late September, the space is now open to the public and offers a surprisingly scenic environment in one of Kent’s less inviting boroughs.
- Meet the speakers: Hollie Fernando, Andrew Rae, Raine Allen-Miller and Random International
- Political illustrator Ellie Foreman-Peck on her unfortunately abundant Trump back catalogue
- Deep Throat Studio, a graphic design practice with a name and portfolio to grab your attention
- Photographer David Gomez Maestre captures the romance of sun-blushed landscapes
- ECAL grad Jean-Vincent Simonet’s “totally twisted” image-making
- Benedict Brink is shaking up fashion photography
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU