Yeah you’ve probably been stopped dead in your tracks by this cover at least once in the last few weeks, but better late than never. What better way to say goodbye to the week than with this gloriously cute photo shoot by photographer Michael Hauptman for Wonderland magazine, and art directed by U S E F U L.
There’s a lot of cynicism in the world today, thanks predominantly to Twitter and the web in general, but it took one of London’s best fashion magazines to shout “stop!” and embrace One Direction for what they really are: the cultural icons of today. Yep, that’s right, suck it up, they’re here and they ain’t going anywhere. Sure, their bank balances alone make you want to go home and drink cyanide under a towel, but let’s just stop being bitter for one second and take a leaf out of Wonderland’s book. Commissioning Michael, with his rainbow-tinted specs style of photography was the first thing they did right, the second was getting the puppies in. Whoever thought that up deserves a medal and a promotion, stat.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery