Issues around digital and print media, information overload and our changing habits of consumption tend to be mired in fairly dry academic debates, so it’s nice to see a project exploring them in a more creative way.
Out of Print was a collaboration between James Cuddy, Roma Levin, Danilo Di Cuia and Goldsmiths BA Design students during last week’s London Design Festival. Using an application which conflated and confused trending news stories, they created hybrid-headlines which were then printed on a custom-made letterpress.
They said: "With the growth of digital media we are faced with unprecedented levels of data. We now find ourselves at a saturation point. By attempting to consume ever more, we end up understanding less. In this context, we find news and media redefined to fit our shortened
attention spans. How do we make sense of all the information we consume and not get lost in the process?
“Both the print process and the software can produce unexpected results. The distortions and juxtapositions in language create headlines that are profound and confusing in equal measure; not unlike our evolving relationship with digital media.”
The resulting prints are really nice-looking objects as well as being an interesting contribution to the on-going attempts to make sense of this information evolution.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting