It’s 14 years since Pentagram partner Marina Willer and Wolff Olins chairman Bryan Boylan worked together on the identity for the Tate gallery; now 14 years later they have unveiled their latest collaboration for another stalwart of the London art scene. Their new identity for the Serpentine Gallery was launched to coincide with the opening of the new Sackler Gallery space there designed by Zaha Hadid, and is built around an aperture, which can be used to break typography on posters, signs and in print. The idea is to reflect the Serpentine’s values, which Marina summed up to Design Week as “totally open.”
“They are free to visit and situated in the park, among nature. They are also open in their approach to exhibiting – they’re not just about visual art but about performance, design and other things,” she said.
Ian Osborne has created a new typeface for the logo which aims to be “challenging and approachable; thought-provoking, but also…democratic” while Patrick Giasson was tasked with producing new type for the overall identity which is described as “sharp and modern.” Fellow Pentagram partner Daniel Weil worked on both internal and external signage, incorporating the aperture theme in a number of interesting ways.
Big redesigns like this are certain to split opinion but for our money this is bright, communicative and right on-message. So see you in 2027 Bryan and Marina?
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery