It’s 14 years since Pentagram partner Marina Willer and Wolff Olins chairman Bryan Boylan worked together on the identity for the Tate gallery; now 14 years later they have unveiled their latest collaboration for another stalwart of the London art scene. Their new identity for the Serpentine Gallery was launched to coincide with the opening of the new Sackler Gallery space there designed by Zaha Hadid, and is built around an aperture, which can be used to break typography on posters, signs and in print. The idea is to reflect the Serpentine’s values, which Marina summed up to Design Week as “totally open.”
“They are free to visit and situated in the park, among nature. They are also open in their approach to exhibiting – they’re not just about visual art but about performance, design and other things,” she said.
Ian Osborne has created a new typeface for the logo which aims to be “challenging and approachable; thought-provoking, but also…democratic” while Patrick Giasson was tasked with producing new type for the overall identity which is described as “sharp and modern.” Fellow Pentagram partner Daniel Weil worked on both internal and external signage, incorporating the aperture theme in a number of interesting ways.
Big redesigns like this are certain to split opinion but for our money this is bright, communicative and right on-message. So see you in 2027 Bryan and Marina?
- Get your pout on, it's Valentine's weekend, and it's the Best of the Web
- Moby Digg uses basic colours and shapes for photo exhibition identity
- From celebs to cleaners, Maxi Cohen photographs ladies’ rooms around the world
- Seoul-based illustrator Yeon Ji Kang's beautifully thick-limbed ballerinas
- Roses at the ready, our round-up of the best Valentine’s Day ideas from the creative world
- First Dates for those who create: two-thirds of Nous Vous on their special three-way relationship
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016